The Flats River Skiff 16 is the perfect multipurpose skiff for fishing, hunting and more. It’s 9″ hull draft it will allow you to access a variety of locations. Its moderate dead rise will handle light chop with ease while maintaining a stable platform. Its flush decks forward and aft provide a true flats boat layout for the dedicated fisherman. The same decks allow for amble storage space below for fuel, battery, gear and more . The skiff can be used as a tiller with a 50hp for the ultimate light weight flats boat. Or a side or center console can be added for use with an outboard up to 70hp.
- Ideal for a first time boat builder with basic carpentry experience
- Simple layout is easily customized
- Plans included full size patterns for tracing (easily cut with a jig saw)
- Plywood Kit includes all plywood pre-cut by CNC (first 3 items on materials list), flotation foam and a USCG capacity placard.
- Check out our FAQ for build time and cost estimates.
Flats River Skiff -16 Specs:
- 16’7″ LOA
- 6’3″ beam
- 9″ draft typical load
- 1100lb Capacity (4 people and gear)
- 70hp max (20″ shaft), 50hp minimum
- 70hp runs ~38mph, 60hp runs ~32mph and 50hp runs ~28 mph
Flats River Skiff -16 Materials List:
- 13 sheets – 4′ x 8′ x 3/8″ Meranti or Fir marine grade plywood (included in Plywood Kit)
- 1 sheet – 4′ x 8′ x 1/2″ Meranti or Fir marine grade plywood (included in Plywood Kit)
- 1 sheet – 4′ x 8′ x 1/2″ standard plywood for cradle (included in Plywood Kit)
- 40 linear feet – 1/2″ x 1″ stock Cypress, Juniper, or Fir
- 80 linear feet of 1/2″ x 1-1/2″ stock Cypress, Juniper or Fir
- 120 linear feet – 3/4″ x 3/4″ stock Cypress, Juniper, or Fir
- 20 linear feet – 1-1/2″ x 1-1/2″ stock Cypress, Juniper or Fir
- 12′ linear feet – 1″ x 1-1/2″ stock Fir or Sapele
- 12 gallons – Marine Epoxy (add 1 lb of fumed silica for fillets)
- 10 cu/ft – 2 lb density expanding pour foam, closed cell (included in Plywood Kit)
- 50 yards – 10 oz cloth 50″ wide
- 10 yards – 1208 biaxial cloth 50″ wide
- 45 yards – 1708 biaxial cloth 50″ wide
- Marine primer & paint (Quantity will vary by manufacturer, application method and number of coats.)
- Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction (free PDF download)
What are stitch and glue boat plans?
Stitch and glue boat plans are great for amateur boat builders!
Stitch and glue boat building uses marine grade plywood that is stitched together with zipties and glued with epoxy resin. The first step is to trace the full size patterns onto marine grade plywood and cut them out. Then you will hold everything in place with zipties so you can install the simple frame. After that, apply thickened epoxy to glue everything together. All wood is sealed with epoxy resin and some areas are covered with fiberglass for additional strength. Finally, roll on some paint and enjoy the ride!
Watch this video about stitch and glue boat building for more details and explanation.
There are no reviews yet.